Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Living in Fantasy Land

We have a lot of distractions in our lives that I think sometimes leads us to believe we are something that we are not. Those distractions come in many forms. From the television that we watch, the video games that we play, or the way we self-indulge in whatever social media platform is the latest trend. So what do those distractions cause us to believe? Well perhaps they lead us to illusions of grandeur. A professional athlete. A famous actor or musician. The next social media darling on Tik Tok. Dare I say, professional bull rider? Look, I think it's great to have lofty goals and aspirations. I think all of us at some point in our lives have dreams and fantasies of fame and fortune. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! But at the same time I also think it is important to stay grounded and to have a firm grasp on what it really takes to have a fulfilling and  happy life. 

Mine (illusions of fame and fortune) came late in high school and during my undergraduate years of college. While I went to college to major in music education, in reality becoming a teacher was my backup plan. What I really wanted to do was perform. And not just perform, but become famous. I know, it's laughable right? But at the time I really believed I could do it. The 'plan' was that after graduating from college, I'd move to Nashville. A group of 3 college buddies who had the same aspirations that I did started performing locally, and before we knew it we were starting to get attention. And by attention I mean the right kind of attention....No not record producers or agents...girls! We really enjoyed the attention and the encouragement, which naturally fed our egos. We talked a big game and made plans, but then reality struck. The promise of a steady paycheck was just too good to pass up.

My illusions of grandeur were over. Needless to say I am sometimes left with the musings of  'what if'. Could it possibly have turned out that instead of me sitting here writing this blog, you would be hearing me on the radio? Doubtful. In the intervening decades I have come to realize that my skills as a musician are what I like to describe as 'technical mastery'. In other words, I am no artist.

But at the same time, the true story is almost as unbelievable. If you would have told that 20 year old kid that someday he would have a terminal degree and be a superintendent of a school district, he would have laughed at you. Then he would pick up his guitar and covered a Garth Brooks standard. In that time that has long past me by I have come to realize that I really wouldn't have it any other way. I have a loving family and living a great life. In many ways I have that dream job (albeit without the fame and fortune). 

Deep down I always knew that my backup plan to be a teacher was no back up plan at all. I do think a career in education was always my destiny. To have the kind of impact on young people that my own teachers had on me as a teacher. I have shared many of these stories with your right here over the years so I am certain you understand. The fact remains though, there is one key to success. One way that dreams can become a reality. That key is education. Every step forward in the advancement of my career has been made possible through education. You can achieve your goals in life by studying hard, learning to think critically about the problems you face, maintaining focus, and staying grounded.

Those 3 buddies of mine? Well, they didn't move off to Nashville either. Although one did move to New York City and worked in the entertainment industry for awhile, although not as a performer so you haven't heard him on the radio either. We are scattered around the country, really living the American dream. This due in no small part to the education that we received. I am incredibly grateful for those memories and the times I spent as a youngster dreaming about the possibilities of hitting it big. Oh, the stories I could tell (and the fun that we had)! And sorry; before you ask, those stories aren't we'll suited for this venue! I still have that guitar though, it's in a closet at home, and like my piano it is gathering dust. I suppose at some point I had better start getting my 'chops' back in shape. It pays to have a backup plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment