Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Always Find the Good

If we have learned anything over the last several months, I think that it might be that kindness, compassion, and empathy are among the most valued character traits we can embody. If we can teach these to our children, the world would probably be a better place. Agree? Think about it. There is quite a lot to take in right now, and it can be very stressful! I won't tick off the multitude of things that I'm sure are on your mind because it might just stress you out a little bit more. But I'll let you in on a little coping mechanism that I have come up with: I don't watch the news anymore. Anyway, I digress. Let me begin to get to the point. I want to see if I can shift the conversation to a more positive outlook. It's all about our theme this year: #PirateRising

That's why I am so thrilled and proud when our students demonstrate those aforementioned character traits without any nudging, or even within eyesight of an adult. I'm sure you have heard the saying that character is the way you act when no one else is looking. Truth be told, most of the time students really don't need us standing around reminding them how to be decent human beings, they have already figured it out. Perhaps though, we can learn something from them? I mean, if they are looking to some adults as examples we would be in pretty big trouble wouldn't we?

For certain I am no angel and sometimes have to remind myself that it doesn't cost a thing to be kind to people, to encourage them and offer a helping hand. Or even just to smile and acknowledge their existence. The fact of the matter is, it can pay huge dividends. And of course the inverse is also true. Our actions can result in us being described as a 'big jerk' and someone to be avoided at all costs. 

This year I have adopted the theme #PirateRising as our unofficial slogan for the year. I wrote about this earlier in the school year to remind our Pirate Nation to 'Fly above your station and RISE UP'. Indeed it is an attempt to regain much of the momentum that we had prior to spring break and to remind everyone what it means to be a Hudson Pirate. All of the academics are important and the reason for our very existence. But there is no doubt we have a role to play in ensuring we turn out decent human beings. While we continually battle quarantine and illness, it is probably a bit too easy to fall prey to the negatively that at least right now seems to be everywhere we turn.

So it is in that spirit that we look to the actions of our students to realize that yes, everything is going to be alright. Last week Mr. Wurzer let me know that he had a parent call him to make sure that both he and our cross country coaches were aware of how nice our athletes were and appreciated their sportsmanship during a recent meet. What a breath of fresh air! Here is how the story went.

One of the opposing athletes from another school had stopped running. They were just going to walk a bit when one of our girls ran by and encouraged her to keep running. But it went beyond those simple words of support. Instead of encouraging her to keep running and continue along, our athlete encouraged her competitor to not only keep running-but finish the race with her, together. 

I'm not sure who our athlete was that provided that inspirational gift to the person who she was trying to beat in a race. Frankly, I think that if I wanted to find out it wouldn't be all that hard. But, I don't need to know. Knowing our students the way that I do, it very well could have been any of them. Hopefully that athlete of ours reads this, and hopefully all our athletes, and students read this. You didn't just inspire a competitor to rise above themselves and finish a race. You inspired all of us to be better. That is what I mean about #PirateRising!

No comments:

Post a Comment