Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Finding Your Passion

I hold a unique position in the district insofar as I have the privilege of seeing young children turn into young adults. They enter our schools unable to read, sometimes unable to tie their shoes; and when they leave, they are able to calculate math equations that are far more advanced than I can even contemplate. Along the way they pick up hobbies and interests. In most cases they find a passion that enables them to take advantage of the multiple activity programs that are available to them at school. 

Granted, I don't have a front row seat to this magical transformation that takes place with our students. My view is usually from the 'cheap seats'--because all the hard work is really done by our teachers, coaches, and parents. I see their growth and progress in passing snippets. Perhaps during a fleeting moment in a classroom. Or one of those more public and traditional events that are part of the fabric of our school: a concert or a basketball game. Maybe since the junior high/middle school is located adjacent to the central office I have the opportunity to see these students on a more consistent basis that our other students. And let's be honest: It is really difficult to figure out what exactly is going on with that age group most days!

I suppose that is why it is so thrilling for me when they get through that epoch and into high school, because then they really start to figure things out. What interests them? They begin to discover their talent, whatever it might be! The best part for me is seeing these students find their niche, because when they do: they shine!

That is what I witnessed at our musical, "The Addams Family" last weekend. Students who I had watched grow from small children in elementary school, through that awkward phase of middle school, and finally to high school. In a high school where they found their people. A place of comfort and a sense of belonging. With a talent that took my breath away.

Now, I do know a bit about what it takes to produce a musical. The hours are very long for everyone involved (and that includes the parents!). The pace at times can be quite grueling and the volume of details that need attended to can be overwhelming. But at the end, the adrenaline rush of performing for a sold out crowd makes it all worth it. To see all that hard work come to fruition; from the monotonous words of a script to a living breathing thing: well that is really pure magic. The sense of accomplishment that our cast and crew feel at this moment is exhilarating. I can promise that all of those involved have created memories that will last a lifetime. 

So as a former drama director, here is what I really think. The choreography was outstanding and the casting of the show was absolutely brilliant. The vocals were of superior quality and the flow of movement on the stage appeared natural and believable. Little details that may have gone unnoticed by the casual observer were attended to with precision.

I have been in Hudson a long time and as such have seen numerous productions. Furthermore, over the course of my career I have been blessed to direct numerous productions. So it is through that lens that I share this. Without taking anything away from those who have gone before you, either here at Hudson or in my prior career as a director: this was one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Congratulations to the cast and crew of 'The Addams Family'!

No comments:

Post a Comment