Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Governance During a Pandemic

I want to take a moment and thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and support over the last [roughly] year and a half. It has been comforting, particularly as news stories lately have shown a general public that is growing weary of the restrictions and policies that have been put in place. Further exacerbating our collective weariness is conflicting guidance during the waning days of the 2020-2021 school year. But at the same time, I want to admit that some of your kindness, while very much appreciated is misplaced.

First, the best news of all is that with only a handful of days remaining in our school year, I can safely say that we are going to make it a full 180 days without needing to change our learning plan. I suppose that is why this spring, as I have been able to resume my evening walks around town and through the neighborhood, someone's mom or dad will stop me to say thanks for keeping the school open this year. They are grateful that we never had to implement our remote learning program or move to hybrid learning. Believe this: I am pretty happy about that as well! It has been a long year and it couldn't have been accomplished without the help from a great team. 

Today, though; the team I am talking about is the governance team: The Hudson Board of Directors. Here's a little secret: we were able to stay open this year in spite of me, not because of me. On two separate occasions I made recommendations to the board that we alter our learning plan. First, at the very beginning of the school year I recommended we implement what I referred to at the time as a 'soft start'. Under this plan, we would have started under our hybrid model, slowly ramping up to full in person learning after Labor Day. The Board gave my recommendation strong consideration, asking clarifying questions and really diving deep into the policy proposal and implications of this action. At the end of the debate, thankfully they rejected my recommendation and voted unanimously to fully open our schools on August 24.

The second time came in November, right around Thanksgiving. During the late fall, this was the time we were experiencing our worst outbreak of the school year. In discussions with superintendents in Black Hawk County and with the local health department, we had determined it was appropriate to take recommendations to our respective board's to implement our remote learning plans the week of Thanksgiving, while brining our K-4 students back onsite November 30 and the remainder of the student body on December 7. Once again, the board carefully considered the recommendation, asking all the right questions before ultimately determining that we would stay in session.

In both cases the board was right to reject my recommendation. Granted, no superintendent likes it when the board doesn't take their advice. Heck one of the reasons they hire us is to give them advice on issues of importance in the governance of the district. Now, the most noble thing about all of this was the genuine and sincere way they approached this debate and reassured me that my work as superintendent was valued and respected. They didn't need to do that, but in doing so not only reaffirmed my role as Chief Executive Officer, but showed tremendous honor, integrity, and character from members of the Board of Directors. They showed they were committed to doing the right thing for the right reasons: for our community, families, and most important our students.

I read a recent blog from a colleague in Illinois who captured the challenges of this school year best with this quote:

"I never fully believed in any recommendation I provided because in this situation I felt there was no certainty. No matter what I did, it felt OKAY at best" PJ Caposey

PJ is correct in this quote. Most of the time, school leaders have strong recommendations based on reams of research and data to back up their point. This year though, we have had to navigate a multitude of unknowns, sift through misinformation, consider the political angle of a position, and try to figure out what to do when those we count on for guidance are in conflict with one another. It is maddening to feel good about the decisions and recommendations we make!

The belief and reassurance comes from the dialogue and discussion at the board table. A 'hashing out' of the issue and debate on the merits of the recommendation. When done through a paradigm that is borne out of a sincere desire to make the right decision, and clearly when the entire team is driving toward the same goal: the end result is just. In those instances, we can leave the board table not feeling OKAY at best, but with comfort that we gave it our best shot and truly considered the issue from multiple angles.

This board has my trust, respect, and admiration. They are goal oriented and forward thinking, always taking the work they do with seriousness and giving issues the deliberation that they deserve. During this School Board Appreciation Month, please join me in thanking them for their service. And please, give them the credit they rightfully have earned for making the tough calls while governing during a pandemic. 

(L-R) Kala Featherstone, Brenda Klenk, Dave Ball, 
Traci Trunck, Matt Sallee




No comments:

Post a Comment