Monday, November 2, 2020

Sitting in the Chair

Over the course of the last eight or nine months I have spent quite a bit of time visiting with friends and colleagues who occupy the same chair as I. During this time we have struggled with a range of issues we have had little training for that are typically not in the wheelhouse of educators. Often we have been forced to make decisions with incomplete data or competing interests that come with data sets and talking points of their own. It can become quite maddening. Indeed, 2020 has been a challenging year for anyone who finds themselves in a position of leadership, particularly when many look to us for guidance and answers.

Today then, I want to focus my comments not so much on my typical audience but rather to those who find themselves leading in this most unusual of times. Hopefully leaders will be able to use these experiences to strengthen leadership skills when we can look forward to the day the most pressing issue we face is whether or not this is the right time to purchase a new school bus. At the same time, I am certain (if not hopeful) that this time we are living through reinforces many of those attributes that landed us in the chair to begin with.

As stated above, many people look to us for guidance and answers. Normally, we are well equipped to provide those answers because the training we have received has given us the tools we need, the knowledge base of our craft, or the competence to find and research the appropriate response to solve the problem before us. But not so fast. As I have shared many times before, I'm not that kind of doctor. Or as my granddaughter likes to tell her friends, 'My papa's a doctor-but not the real kind'. My point is that we don't need to have all the answers, and we have to be okay with that. I have found it quite refreshing when posed with a question that I can't answer to simply say, 'I don't know. But we're going to figure it out'. Instead of the opposite approach, which is to bluff our way through with a bunch of words. Whenever that would happen, those on the receiving end of that 'answer' are likely nodding right along trying to figure out how to get away as quickly as possible, while thinking 'this dude has no idea what he's talking about'. The fact of the matter is this: I have found that when honestly saying you don't know, it is a sign of strength as opposed to a sign of weakness. I believe those who look to us for answers appreciate honesty and sincerity instead of bluff and bluster.

Along that same vein not only have I found comfort in not trying to pretend that I have all the answers, but to give myself and those around me the permission to make mistakes. As you know the World Series just wrapped up, and with that most American of sports traditions, it got me to thinking about batting averages. The most successful power hitters in the major leagues don't even come close to batting a thousand. Truth be told, a batting average of .300 is considered excellent and .400 is nearly unachievable. In case you are wondering, the best career batting average belongs to Ty Cobb at .3664. When making mistakes, the best thing to do is to take ownership and use the experience as a lesson to try a different approach next time.

Speaking of mistakes, a big one that could be unforgivable would be underestimating the power of teamwork. Think about it for a minute. If you don't have the answers to the questions that have been posed, chances are that someone on your team certainly does. In my role as superintendent, I have often used the analogy of reading instruction. I am no reading teacher! If I am your only option to help your child with a reading problem then we are in big trouble. Thankfully we have some outstanding reading teachers in our school district; along with a whole host of highly skilled professionals that have a depth of knowledge and expertise that is unparalleled to most fields. Truth be told, the great things that happen in this school district don't happen because of the person sitting in the superintendent's chair. One could probably argue they happen in spite of him!

Finally, I want to talk about empathy. A lot of people are hurting right now. They may have lost jobs. Others may fear they are going to lose their job if their child gets quarantined one more time or if schools have to implement remote or hybrid learning plans. Even worse, some are getting sick; seriously sick. Further, some of those families have had loved ones who have gotten sick and had the worst possible outcome. I think it is important when interacting with families that are facing challenging obstacles that we try to view the problem from their perspective. Look for a way to lower the temperature. Chances are they need help. Maybe as leaders we can be solution focused and try to help them find it. 

So to all my friends and colleagues out there who are sitting in the chair: Thanks for picking up the phone when I call. I'll continue to do the same when you call me, and I look forward to seeing you at our next virtual meeting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment