Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Dusty Binders and Battle Plans

My first experience with a pandemic came early in my career as an administrator. I think it was back in the middle 2000s when I was a building principal. The virus was called the H1N1, and it too was designated a pandemic by the WHO. I remember at that time being directed (I can't remember by whom) that all schools needed to develop and implement an educational plan for dealing with pandemics 'just in case'. I dutifully completed my plan and promptly filed it away. Luckily this virus didn't have the same impact on our global community as COVID-19. Yet in the final analysis, the CDC estimates that more than 500,000 deaths (worldwide) could be attributed to this infection. That was just during the first year of circulation.

I do remember at the time thinking this was being blown way out of proportion and that the need for a pandemic plan was an exercise in futility. I mean, this is modern civilization right? In my mind there was no way with modern medicine and the advancements that had been made in the treatment of illness we could possibly expect to experience a pandemic on a scale of historic proportions. Right? Well, in that particular case, at least in my little corner of the world we seemed to come through it relatively unscathed. My pandemic plan remained on the shelf in my office and began to collect dust. But considering where we are today those optimistic views of modern medicine seem a bit misplaced.

Fast forward to roughly eight weeks ago (yes, it's been that long). The first week in March was when things really started to develop with the COVID-19 here in the United States. It was on March 11, 2020 when the WHO designated this a pandemic and all the school superintendents in the Cedar Valley metropolitan area penned a message to our community. In that message you will recall our commitment to continuing normal operations for the foreseeable future. We were all confident that with spring break just around the corner, it would give us all the time we needed for this to blow over, clean our buildings, and be prepared for schools to reopen following spring break. The very next day I asked the directors who were in New York City with music students to turn the bus around and head for home.

It was also during those early days where we all turned to those dusty binders that had been sitting on our shelves for the past decade and a half for guidance. I also began to rely a bit on my former military training, and I know several of my colleagues and immediate subordinates have done the same. As a Navy guy, I can recall a former commanding officer telling us that our battle plan likely wouldn't survive first contact with the enemy. (He said some other things too, but probably not suitable for an educational blog.) A quick perusal of the document made me realize that he was right. This plan was not going to be helpful. Decisions needed to be made quickly and I didn't have time to refer to (Section 14, paragraph 6, subparenth 'c'). 

Instead, I have found all of you to be much more helpful than this dusty old binder. I am deeply appreciative of your support, patience, and words of encouragement as we navigate these choppy waters (that's the Navy reference again-or maybe Pirate?) I am amazed at the way my team has operated and somewhat normalized operations, ranging from the delivery of instruction to the delivery of meals. I am incredibly fortunate and lucky to have a Board of Directors as a body of counsel and governance, giving me the space to make decisions and asking questions that need to be asked as we plot our course. 

All of these things give me reassurance that, although our plan did not survive first contact, we will be victorious. Know that I miss you all and look forward to seeing you in person again real soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment