Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Reflections from the Retiring Board

When Board Directors Julie Marsch and Jeff Cory decided not to seek a new term, I spoke with them about their time on the board and asked them to reflect on the service they provided to the Hudson Community School District and to share some of the things they are most proud of. I also would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their service to the school district. A few accomplishments that stand out in my mind are the improved financial condition of the school district, the adoption of a rigorous research based math curriculum aligned to the Common Core, facilities improvements including the high school parking lot, elementary electrical upgrades, and purchase of the hotel property; and finally the decision to implement the Hudson 1 to 1 Project which we believe to be the biggest educational decision for this generation of Hudson Students! If you see these Emeritus board members around town, please thank them for all they have done!


Retiring Board Members Jeff Cory and Julie Marsch

Jeff Cory

How long have you served?  

I was on the board for 9 years.

What did you expect board service to look like, and how did it differ in your time on the board? 

I thought it would be about more day to day operations. After the first couple of board meeting I realized that we have a great staff to handle day to day operations.

What was your greatest achievement, or what were you most proud of during your time on the board? 

Improving the working relationship with the union to get the best for all with limited funds. We didn't always have the kind of relationship that we now do. The first year I was on the board we had to cut staff because of lack of funds, and the head of the local union said let those people go so the rest of us would get more money. This was a real gut check.

What is the most surprising aspect of serving on the board? 

The students coming in front of the board to show us what and how they are learning, and going into classrooms to see what and how things work.

What advice would you offer the next board? 

Don't come in with a axe to grind, listen to what goes on! You might have a personal agenda but it changes when you see the big picture. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that is the best way to learn how the board works.

What will you miss? 

The people that I was able to work with, and getting phone calls from individuals that had questions. Sometimes people didn't understand why a decision was made, so explaining the real reasons behind that decision, or the other side of the story was really helpful to them. The staff and all the kids that make this school the best one that it can be.

How will you stay involved or what are your plans now that you are no longer serving on the board? 

I will continue to show up at board meeting and ask questions when needed, spend more time with my wife, kids and grand kids. Also I would like to thank everyone that supported me during the years I spent as a Hudson School Board Member.

Julie Marsch

How long have you served?  
I have been on the board 11 years.

What did you expect board service to look like, and how did it differ in your time on the board?  
I really don’t remember what I thought being on the board would be like. I knew it would be a job that would need my true dedication. I know I never imagined there would be as much learning involved. The policies, laws, and especially the budget and financial issues. There are still times when I have to have items explained to me. This is definitely a never ending “learning” position!

What was your greatest achievement, or what were you most proud of during your time on the board?  
I don’t think I can say I am most proud of something I did. What I can say is that I am proud of what the board did as a team. There has been a couple of times when the board and the district had to make some very difficult decisions in regard to cutting staff. As hard as the decisions were, I am very proud of our entire district for accepting these decisions and working through them. I am very proud of the decisions that we made as a team in order to increase our unspent balance. The hardest part of this position as a school board member is having to make the decisions that you know will upset many people. I am also very proud of our board for being able to continually work as a team. In all my years on the board and with the many board members I have had the privilege to work with, we were always able to work together with respect and we always had the same goal... What is best for our district.

What is the most surprising aspect of serving on the board?  
I think the most surprising thing for me was how complicated it is to run a district! The financial aspects are a never ending learning experience!

What advice would offer the next board?  
First and foremost, don’t be afraid to ask questions. The more information to have the easier it is to make decisions.  Also, there will be times you will get down and frustrated.  This can be a very “thankless” job. Just remember that decisions you make are very important, and that you do make a difference. Lastly I would say, always be there to listen. Listen to your board, the district staff and most importantly, listen to your community! You are there for them.

What will you miss?  
Oh so many things!!! You do develop a special relationship with the board, I will definitely miss working a truly dedicated team. I will miss getting first hand information on what is going on in the classroom. I always enjoyed when students would come in and share what they were doing in class.  I will truly miss being an important part of a school district that, I can honestly say, really cares about it’s school. It has been a privilege to serve on the board! The administration, staff, students and the community, in general, has been amazing!

How will I stay involved or what are your plans now that you are no longer serving on the board?  
I will continue my position on the HEF board along with my involvement with the SIAC committee. I am hoping to get back to volunteering more in the school. Volunteers are always needed. I hope that if help is ever needed in the district, they will not hesitate to call!


No comments:

Post a Comment