Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving and All That!

This morning as I was getting ready for work I happened to be watching Good Morning America, and they were running a story that suggested 'Black Friday' had now become 'Black Thursday'.  Spokespersons for the various department stores justified their actions that 'this is what our customers want', while at the same saying they were eager to show profits for the first time this year.  I am proud of those retailers who have stood firm in their convictions that they will not be opening early because they believe, after all that we should celebrate one holiday at a time!  A special note to all you readers out there:  I have no intention of visiting any stores on Black Friday (or Thursday)! 

Since I am on the subject, I was dismayed to return home from work one evening shortly after Halloween to see that quite a large number of folks had put up Christmas lights!  That's right, we skipped right over Thanksgiving and had moved on to the next holiday.  Have we nothing to give thanks for this holiday season?

I suppose it would be easy to think so, with the tough economy, the failure of the Super Committee, and the plethora of natural disasters that are ongoing around the world.  In spite of all that, I have a lot of optimism, and tons to be thankful for!

I have the opportunity to get up each day and come to work in a great school district!  I have the opportunity to interact with a group of professionals who are dedicated to creating effective learning environments for each students.  I have the opportunity to see struggling students have that light bulb come on and witness that 'aha' moment. 

I have the opportunity to know, beyond a shadow of any doubt, that in spite of the challenges that are facing the Hudson Community School District, we will be stronger because not only can we do this, we will do this!  Our school district is awesome because everyone here is working toward the common good and has the best interest of the students in mind.  This school district is awesome because of you, and what you do for our school district, no matter your role.  So then, I am thankful for you and what you bring to the table.

So then, on behalf of the Board of Directors, I would like to wish you and your family a very safe and relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.  Take some time to relax, eat a big meal, and enjoy your family.  We can start worrying about that other holiday on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment