Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Echoes of the Classroom

In my weekly communication to employees I admitted this year I would be finishing my 20th as a school administrator. I can hardly believe how quickly the time has flown by, particularly when one is surrounded by the whirlwind of classrooms, lunch rooms, pep rallies, and a whole array of school activities. But my educational career didn't begin in the administrative wing of a school. My journey began like so many others: in the classroom. In my case, I spent ten years as a music teacher. At times, I am certain teachers think that I have lost perspective. And quite frankly, from time to time that might be a fair assessment. I mean, I've been an administrator twice as long as I was in the classroom. But, these last twenty years haven't erased memories of the ten I spent in the front of the choir room, wielding a baton instead of a budget report.

Sure, the challenges are different. Now I worry about test scores, budgets, and trying to get a high school renovation project finished on time and on budget. I leave the worries about the soprano who tends to lean a bit sharp or the tenor who can't quite master the bridge to falsetto for someone else. But there is one thing that remains constant: the incredible dedication and collaboration that makes our schools tick-the teachers. There is no mistaking the fact our roles are vastly different. There is no mistaking the fact that the success of our school is reliant on our teachers. They are in the starring role in our schools and will/do have the greatest impact on shaping these students into the adults they someday will become. Know this: twenty years from now I can assure you that our students will be able to remember with fondness a teacher who inspired them, cared for them, or were present when the lightbulb came on. They won't remember the grizzled old superintendent (What was his name again?) who called a snow day every once in a while. Believe me, I am happy to serve in this supporting role!

Indeed from time to time I can still hear the echoes of classroom chaos in my head. It is those instances when, perhaps I am able to ground myself and remember what it is like to be in the trenches. The long hours of lesson planning, the emotional investment in every student's success, the constant feeling of needing to be ten different people all at once. It is a very demanding job!

But here's the other thing that I see from my vantage point: They don't do it alone. As we close in on the final weeks of the school year, our schedule has began to compact, much the way it does every May. Activities are stacked upon activities and the coordination and planning necessary to ensure success is as complex as any problem encountered in workplaces everywhere. No, they don't do it alone. They do it together, as a team. I see them planning together, sharing best practices, troubleshooting behavior issues collaboratively, and celebrating each other's victories. This collaborative spirit is what separates good schools from great ones, and it is something I witness daily. 

Don't get me wrong, there are frustrations. Budgetary constraints. Too much focus on standardized tests. Politics. The occasional parent email that makes you question your sanity. It's all part of the territory!

But during this Teacher Appreciation Week, let's focus on the positive. Because the positive force our teachers create is undeniable. They nurture young minds, ignite passions, and inspire the next generation to dream big! They are the artists, the scientists, the historians, and the mathematicians sculpting the future one lesson at a time.

So from a former colleague who, admittedly sometimes may lack perspective, a heartfelt thank you. You are the heart and soul of our schools and your dedication makes all the difference. Here's to the next twenty years of learning, growing, and making a difference together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment