The calendar tells us that today is April 18th. But if you peak out the window it looks more like February 18. A friend of mine remarked in an email a few weeks back that yes, it's spring. But winter keeps cutting in line. So, here we are with another snow day. We are going to have to figure out how to deal with this one, because we have just crossed over into June 4th. Our summer construction season is starting to get a little more compressed than we would prefer. Originally the school year was supposed to end on May 25th, the Friday before Memorial Day.
We had been keeping our eye on this snow event for several days. Truth be told I was convinced that it wouldn't amount to much, and hadn't really been all that concerned. I was at the track meet last night when I got a text telling me that the forecast had been upgraded. Admittedly, I thought someone was playing a cruel joke! But it was true, which meant the networking with other superintendents started around 9:00 last night.
|April 18, 2018. Our fourth weather related cancellation|
of the school year and fifth day of school that was missed.
Today started around 4:30 a.m., and if there is good news in that, it has to be that I didn't have to check the roads! At that time, no one had made any decisions about school for today. It was still dark out, but when I turned the outside lights on it was apparent that it wasn't doing anything yet. It was clear the trouble was going to be the timing on this storm. So with a pot of hot coffee brewing, the remote in one hand, and my phone in the other, it was time to get started. I got my first message at 4:50 a.m. from a colleague who stated, 'might be the toughest weather call of the season'. I agreed. Again, it was all about timing at this point. After that, the text and phone traffic was very heavy. Everything fell like dominoes beginning about 5:15. By 5:20, we had all thrown in the towel.
By the way, it still wasn't doing anything at this point. But again, we had to think about timing. While our buses weren't ready to roll yet we had to contend with notifications so parents could make alternative arrangements. We also wanted to make sure that students who had morning activities didn't have to make an unnecessary trip. And yet it still wasn't doing anything outdoors yet! I found myself watching Eileen and willing it to start snowing, sleeting, anything! Finally at around 6:30 it started sleeting (or was that hail)? It hasn't really stopped yet. I ran home quick for lunch and the roads were not in very good shape, which made me feel better about this decision.
It has been a rough spring. I feel bad for our student athletes who have had track meets, golf tournaments, and soccer games cancelled. As I mentioned, last night I was at the track meet and it was very chilly. Following that, I stopped by the girls soccer game and, quite frankly I am not too sure how much fun they were really having running around in shorts!
But if there is a silver lining, its that we haven't really had to contend much with 'spring fever'. The kids haven't been all that excited to be outdoors, although they have been good troopers with the extra snow on the ground. Today has been really quiet here in the office, allowing me to get some of the larger projects I have been working on completed. The best news of all: this snow won't last too long, and the weather is forecast to be in the mid 60's next week! Let's all just cross our fingers and hope the weather cooperates for prom this weekend!
|April 9, 2018. Our elementary students made the best out|
of a bad situation with this wet heavy snow that was perfect
for snowman building during recess.