Wednesday, January 5, 2022

My Word is Empathy

I doubt I am alone in my opinion that we have lived in a very disruptive environment for far too long. Often, disruption causes our anxiety level to rise and forces us out of our comfort zone. Inevitably, our response can be to lash out, blame others, and retreat to our respective corners where we can surround ourselves with like minded individuals. When confronted we may say something to the effect of "I am right, you are wrong, and no matter what you say, I am not going to change my mind". While I may not say those exact words, you better believe I sometimes think it! However, I would be much better served by approaching these interactions as an opportunity to listen and understand instead of trying to convince and cajole.

Certainly over the last two years we have been dealing with a lot of fear, misunderstanding of one another, and perhaps misinformation. All of us, me included (especially me) like 'things' to go a certain way. I am used to my daily routines and do not like surprises. The fact is, it bothers me quite a bit when those routines are disrupted. When those routines are disrupted, I try hard to rebalance the scale and return to the status quo. Sometimes, well; I probably take it out on those that have to be around me. 

A year ago, we were excited when the calendar turned over to 2021. While we were still in the throws of COVID, I had a great deal of optimism that we were finally turning the corner. Vaccines had finally been proven safe and effective, and while it would still be a few months before they were ubiquitously available, it certainly appeared as though the end was in sight. It seemed an easy call that my word for 2021 would be 'optimism'. As that spring unfolded we were able to finally roll back some of our most onerous of mitigation measures, with the highlight being lifting the face covering mandate right before the end of the school year. Enjoying a 'normal' graduation was a welcomed sign that we were returning to normal and as such a cause for great optimism. 

I'll admit though, maintaining that optimistic spirit was tough leading up to the start of the school year. I never could have imagined we would still be dealing with COVID; reporting daily case counts on a dashboard, limiting visitors to our buildings, and requiring face coverings on school buses. That optimism continued to fade as I watched the polarization of our educational institutions. In some of our largest school districts in the state, school board meetings became raucous affairs as community members debated mask mandates and other issues that, quite frankly probably weren't even on anyone's radar two years ago. Unfortunately much of this discourse resulted in the adoption of some laws that weren't needed and ultimately led to the erosion of local control. The days leading up to the start of the school year really seemed like prime examples of people shouting over one another and not listening for understanding or perspective. The passion was (and is) real and in most cases comes from a genuine concern that needs to be addressed. Are some blown out of proportion? Perhaps, but if we don't work to lower the temperature and listen it is most certainly a recipe for strife.

Truth be told, I don’t know what it’s like to be you. I don’t understand the issues you have to deal with on a day to day basis, the struggles that you have to endure, or any multitude of challenges that you face. Furthermore, we probably place greater or lesser value on different aspects of daily life. That doesn't make me right and you wrong; but hopefully we can come to understand one another and view life through one another's paradigm. Early in my career as an administrator, I saw things as purely right or wrong and usually without nuance. I didn’t realize (or chose not to realize) that we live in a world shaded in gray. As I have aged, I hope that I have become more flexible. But at the same time will admit that I have a long way to go. In recent months, I have had interactions with some of you that have helped shaped my views, and hopefully changed my perspective. 

Here is a little bit of what I have learned. Being a parent in 2022 is hard work. As I watch all of you, and in particular young parents who are also employees in our school district (I have a front row seat mind you), I realize we have a big problem when it comes to finding and securing adequate childcare. There just aren't enough providers available: here or anywhere for that matter. We very well could lose employees because they can't find a safe place for their children to spend their days while mom and dad are at work. And for those of you who send your children to us each day: I understand with even greater clarity how much you rely on us, not only for academic preparation but for childcare. You know, I used to bristle whenever our organizations were referred to as child care centers. While we are most certainly not child care centers, there is no doubt we have an important role to play in caring for, and ensuring children are in a safe place during the day. So I understand how important it is for you that we keep our doors open. Rest assured, while there are schools in some places contemplating a shut down due to this latest phase of COVID, I am doing everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen here. 

Now, I have always known this because I was one once but; being a teacher is also hard work. Especially in 2022! They have been through an awful lot over the last two years. They have gone from being heroes to villains in about a 6 month period. Schools aren't reopening fast enough: teachers fault. Child gets in hot water for not completing their homework on time: teachers fault. We've had Tik Tok challenges announcing 'Smack a Teacher Month' and lived through the 'shoot up your school day' threat a few weeks back. They fear losing their license if they say the wrong thing in the classroom. They fear legal repercussions if they select the wrong piece of literature in class. It's really no wonder we are experiencing a labor shortage in education, one that is being exacerbated by an overall labor shortage across all employment sectors.

Listening leads to understanding, and understanding hopefully gives us perspective. That is why this year I am choosing empathy for my word. Whether we like it our not, we are all in this together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment