Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The One Word: Grateful

My one word for 2014 was 'finish'. It worked great and served as an outstanding anchor and motivator for completing my doctorate. That one word encapsulated a major personal goal many years in the making. Month after month whenever I lacked motivation to write, research, collect data, or study I thought of that one word: 'finish'. On December 8th, 2014 I defended my dissertation.

Instead of the traditional New Year resolution, the 'one little word' project seemed to work well for me. I have never been a New Year's resolution kind of guy, but this idea resonated with me. I didn't have to come up with a resolution and then have to bear witness to seeing it fall apart in a few weeks or months. For those of you that know me understand that a resolution probably isn't going to motivate me to exercise or eat better. The 'one little word' is much cleaner and seems to work, at least for me. 

As this year began, I started to think about what my word should be for 2015. At first it was actually harder than I expected because I didn't have a goal to work toward. Unlike this past year, I wouldn't be able to proclaim on January 1, 2016: Mission Accomplished! I did it! Then I remembered that there is no right or wrong word, and it is not necessarily about a goal. The word is about me and about how I want to approach each day of 2015!

I finally settled on the word 'grateful'. There are so many things in my life for which I am incredibly grateful. Sometimes when the grind and grit of everyday life is happenings all around I tend to forget what wonderful gifts I have been given. At the top of the list is my family! They are my inspiration and give me the support necessary to stay grounded in all that I do. 

I am also incredibly grateful for all the wonderful people that I am privileged to work with day in and day out. The passion that our staff has for their vocation is inspiring! They work so hard everyday to ensure that the students in our schools are given a robust and exciting learning experience. The care they show for the children in their charge makes me proud to be superintendent at Hudson!

Now I close that chapter of my life that was 2014 and look forward to all the richness and excitement that comes with 2015, I resolve to be grateful and remember that even when the day isn't going so hot, there are still many things to be grateful for!

What will your word be?


No comments:

Post a Comment